There are no such thing as failures, only lessons.
I’ve seen several variations on this quote. Regardless of the permutation though, they all distil to the same thought. Failure is an opportunity to learn.
I set out at the beginning of the year to blog every day for 100 days. I failed in that endeavor. However, I also learned something. I learned that blogging every single day, for myself, is untenable.
Today I decided that I should try posting to my blog from my phone. This post is currently being written from a mobile git client called Working Copy. It’s definitely not as intuitive as it could be, but I’m really happy that I can post on the go if I want to!
I’m even able to upload images! Okay, I might actually use this more than I realized 😅
One thing I didn’t catch at first though is the frontmatter for the post didn’t get formatted correctly by default.
I am TIRED. I don’t have the energy to write any more code, but I didn’t want to miss writing in my blog. That seemed to be the more important part of doing “100 Days of Indieweb” anyway.
Today I got to work on making a docker container for a NodeJS (TypeScript) app. I’m using multi-layer builds, so that the final image only has the bare minimum of what it needs to run.
Today finds me working on actually parsing the body of each tweet in an attempt to classify them. I need to spend a bit more time making sure that I’m correctly identifying each type of tweet. Quote Tweets especially, since right now (as you’ll see in my results) that’s the one I’m least sure about.
Here’s some numbers based on ALL of my tweets (posts, replies, retweets, and quote tweets) from 2020 onward.
Let’s start today with the personal shit… I was up half the night with a vomiting child last night. I was up early to get the other kid ready for school. I worked all day. I am TIRED. But I am showing up for my blog. I am showing up for 100 days!
Twitter Import I continued to work this evening on importing my tweets as Hugo posts. I need to classify my tweets, so therefore I need to define a data structure to do so.
A big part of owning my content is preserving it. I have over a decades worth of content hosted exclusively on Twitter. I’d like to change that! After all, that’s what the IndieWeb is all about.
The first step was requesting and downloading all my content from the bird site. Once that was done I used the Twitter Archive Parser from Tim Hutton. From there is where MY story begins.
Yesterday I embarked on 100 Days of IndieWeb. Blog first, distribution second. Write first, edit later. I also wrote that I hoped to find/fix issues and streamline my posting process.
Bryce Wray was kind enough to point out that I had an issue with relative links in my RSS feed. I was able to fix the issue by setting the BaseURL config value in my config.toml. The issue I had to tackle wasn’t just setting the value, I had to set it based on environment.
I know, I know… I’m late. But Tantek’s post about a simpler approach to IndieWeb in his own 100 days series has inspired me to embark on my own journey. Consistently writing in my blog for 100 days straight won’t be easy but I think it will be worth it. I think it will spark a creative drive in me that has been lacking of late.
As with any “100 days” project there will be some days where the effort is epic, and some days where it’s lackluster at best.