I’ve been making some efforts to streamline the publishing process for this site. I’ve read about tools like Netlify and Lektor, but I wanted to keep things as close to a basic Hugo site as possible. To that end, I wanted to use git hooks to run hugo whenever I ran git commit. That way to publish a new post I simply had to write it in markdown, save, commit and push.
Using HTTPS for your site has lots of benefits. Chief among them being security. Using HTTPS ensures that no one can intercept and read traffic between you and the site you’re visiting. However, it’s traditionally been somewhat difficult and expensive to provide HTTPS for your sites visitors. Now though, with Let’s Encrypt an SSL certificate is free! And if you’re using GitHub pages with a custom domain for hosting using it couldn’t be easier.
I’ve added my Keybase Proof as a text file at the root of this site. I used to have my site proven via DNS but for whatever reason CloudFlare removed my TXT record breaking the proof. I decided that having the .txt file proof was more resilient because even if I change hosting (Currently on Github Pages) my proof will remain intact. If you aren’t on Keybase check it out. I like to think of it as “crypto-as-a-service”.
Last night I got the wild hare to migrate my personal site from Pelican to Hugo. I’ve been meaning to do it for a while now, so to give myself the push I needed to get it done I deleted my old personal site from Github. Differences Front Matter Honestly the biggest different for content is “front matter”. Both Hugo and Pelican, as static site generators, use front matter to describe pieces of content.
Yesterday I learned a neat trick with Visual Studio Code when working on some PowerShell scripts to help orchestrate build and deployment of our projects (more on that in a different post). I knew that VSCode had a debugger, but I didn’t realize that a debugger for PowerShell had been added via an extension. I had installed this extension some time ago to help with writing PowerShell scripts in VSCode, but I was running my PowerShell prompt in another window to actually test them.
A couple months ago I decided I needed to be better about telling my wonderful wife how much I loved her on a daily basis. Being the nerd that I am I decided to tackle this using IFTTT and a custom web app. For this project I went with Django to build my app out. I’d never used it before so I wanted a chance to play with it.
When I first got a Raspberry Pi the first thing I wanted to build was a home server. I wanted to have a central place at home to store files. I also thought it would be nice to have a torrent machine to handle downloading whatever I wanted. This past weekend I was finally able to get around to building it with a Raspberry Pi 2. I chose to use Diet Pi as my OS.
I’ve been watching my local Barnes & Nobel’s like a hawk the past few weeks. In case you’ve been living under a rock, the official Raspberry Pi magazine, MagPi, shipped with the new Raspberry Pi Zero attached to the cover. The Raspberry Pi Zero, announced in late November of 2015, has been flying off shelves as fast as it’s stocked. They’re HARD to get your hands on. I should know, I’ve been trying since they were first announced!
I recently started using Pelican static site generator for this blog. I was drawn to it for a few reasons: It uses Jinja2 for templates, which I love. It written in python It reminds me a lot of Flask (this might be because of using Jinja2…) I’ve done a few interesting things with this site though. I’m hosting the repo that contains the source content, configuration, etc. on Gitlab.
It seems like the “thing to do” at the beginning of each new year is to make New Years Resolutions. If you’re at all into blogging then you know that you then have to publish those resolutions for all the people who don’t read your blog to see. That’s who/what this post is for. I wanted to make my resolutions less about “I want to lose weight”, and more focused on programming, open source, and this blog.